pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Graph Based Interface DB project

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Graph Based Interface DB project
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:51:15 -0400

In many ways John reflects my own thoughts better than I have in the
past although I have said similar things in
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/pcplantdb/2003-March/000069.html>.

John Schinnerer writes:
> <snip>
> I'd rather see whatever money could be generated for something like
> this circulate within the Permaculture community and fund an
> open-source community-developed database/resource, including
> functional support for those with limited technological means.
> <snip>

Yes and just what sort of funding exists to support this kind of
project? I believe that a fairly small amount of money could take
development of PCPDB/PCDB to a point of allowing collaborative
information gathering and I think this would slingshot the quality and
quantity of the PFAF dataset to a whole new level. I think I am the
person with the skill and motivation to do it; all I need is cold hard
cash. If I were funded for 300 hours @ $15/hr (I'm worth $50/hr) in
2-4 months I could do some amazing things, with the permaculture
community as the most direct beneficiary.

GBIs: No reason not to have multiple interfaces to the same dataset.
I'm personally more interested in developing other sorts of interfaces
at this time.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'