pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Cocoon

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: BK <lildragon@saber.net>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Cocoon
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 23:07:13 -0700

Hi folks.
I've been looking at Apache Cocoon. Looks real interesting. Seems to allow
XML DB changes easily. And uses "transformations" such that one piece of XML
can be formated for different languages (HTML, PDF, etc). So XML data could
be turned into an HTML page, and various styles of HTML layout could be
used. Or PDF, which I really like, since I'd love to be able to create
nicely layedout single page docs on the main features of a plant. Perhaps
even someone could query: Family: Allium, recieve a PDF doc with pages for
each plant, print them, and stick them into their 3 ring binder. Each
process is seperate, so design of the output needs not affect the DB at all.

Also, check out localharvest.org. I talked to the webadmin, their using
openmap, and opensource mapping tool. How bout letting users list points of
interest, PC locations, etc. FranksFarm on the map, links to a page with
photos of the land, maybe some pics of how it develops, etc.

Some of this is near the edge of technology these days, maybe too complex to
implement, and merely pipe dreams, but it would be cool.

Cheers,
BK

  • [pcplantdb] Cocoon, BK, 10/14/2002