pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: PC DB XML Application Servers

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: PC DB XML Application Servers
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:48:36 -0700

> BK wrote:
> In regards to the DB. I like the idea of using XML. It seems to be
> redily extensible. And since its structured hierarchically, you can have
> each data item have a "source" child reference to back it up, or "comments"
child.

About a year ago I asked ibiblio if their server was XML-compatible and the
person I talked to
mentioned something about COCOON. Don't know what they are running at present
but I could enquire.
I have a few books on XML.

Rich:

Is XML something you/we could use?

<>

XML Application Servers
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/ProdsXMLAppServers.htm

XML application servers are Web application servers that are able to serve
both data- and
document-centric XML documents to the Web. They are generally embed SQL
statements in
a template (scripting language) to retrieve data and dynamically build XML
documents.
(Web application servers are really just high-volume applications that use
the Web for their
user interface. They plug into a Web server, which handles communcation with
the Web,
delegates tasks, and serves static documents that no application servers
handle.)

The line between XML servers and XML application servers is blurry. Those
systems I have
categorized as XML application servers tend to be driven by scripting
languages or custom
markup languages and generally sit on top of a Web server. The line between
content management
systems and XML application servers is also blurry. Those systems I have
categorized as XML application servers tend to emphasize building Web-based
applications,
while those I have categorized as content management systems tend to emphasize
content management functions such as versioning and workflow.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/london