pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: pcplantdb digest, Vol 1 #21 - 3 msgs

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: pcplantdb digest, Vol 1 #21 - 3 msgs
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:08:23 +0100

Lawrence et all,
Cheers for all the XML references, I'll check them out.

Yes I do agree XML is a good way to go, I can't really
see any arguments against and many for.

> The line between XML servers and XML application servers is blurry. Those
> systems I have
> categorized as XML application servers tend to be driven by scripting
> languages or custom
> markup languages and generally sit on top of a Web server. The line between
> content
> management
> systems and XML application servers is also blurry. Those systems I have
> categorized as XML application servers tend to emphasize building Web-based
> applications,
> while those I have categorized as content management systems tend to
> emphasize
> content management functions such as versioning and workflow.

Content management systems seem to be preferable. Versioning is close to
what
we want in that it might be able to address the "who did what when"
question.
I'd really like something halfway between a wiki and a relational
database.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Web: http://www.pfaf.org/ := http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/
Snail: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org