pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: PC DB, XML

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: PC DB, XML
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 04:03:52 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

Anyone not real clear on XML and DBs ought to read this (LL already
posted this URL), especially section 2.0, which makes it clear why XML
documents per se are a poor choice for a large complex database of any
kind:

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm

That convinces me.

I plan to spend a bunch of time working on the PC Wiki, installing the latest
PHPWiki version upgrades and all avaailable bells and whistles, plugins, etc.
I would like to make this a convenient, speedy and portable platform for
collecting all types of resources that could be entered into the DB at any
time
present and future. If data is stored there, temporarily perhaps, it will be
there
for anyone to enter into the database. Better that many have access to
everyone's
data for refinement as DB input. A good place to work, collect and store
resources;
that's the purpose of an electronic whiteboard, which is what a Wiki is.
I am anticipating some really cool new features and plugins for the next
PHPWiki version,
possibly 1.3.4; as I read the PHPWiki mailing list I can see that things are
happening
on a daily basis. A WikiBlog will be available, very enhanced file uploads,
specific to individual pages and much more.

I believe Rich already indicated how he was planning to use XML - that
is, he'd use PHP to generate XML based on data from the DB (the DB
itself being MySQL, as I recall, or some open source SQL DB anyhow).

Rich, why XML? As an all-purpose go-between document, or...?

Could there be an option to just display output as plain text? This
is portable and users wanting to create some record of their work
could cut and paste to text files for future reference. Is this
an open source information project wherein doing the previous is
OK with PFAF or do they want to charge for access beyond just seeing
output on their screen.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/london