ocba - Re: [ocba] queens

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Mark Waller <wallermarkw AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>, Orange Co Beekeepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] queens
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 20:54:04 -0400

Mark,

The risk is that the colony is now in that "twilight zone" period where they are well on the way to having a new queen but there is no obvious evidence of her yet (discussed <here>). The test that Jamie described should let you know whether the colony is queenright or not. If it is NOT, I lean the same way you are leaning -- I think at this time of year I would go with a purchased queen rather than a raise-your-own (RYO). Remember that the colony population is declining. There isn't much time for a RYO queen to develop from scratch and create plenty of progeny before the first hard frost.

Randall