ocba - Re: [ocba] Installation questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: John Cotterman <johncotterman AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: ocba <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Installation questions
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 21:01:48 -0400

Hello John and welcome!!

I don't recall who posted that, but it can happen in very rare situations. I've only seen-heard about it happening once. The situation there was a bad queen from the package co. She died a few days later so they knew she was a bad queen and went where the good one was. So its not out of the realm of occurring, but no way the norm. I'd rather suggest you keeping them where they will be and stay. "IF" you have that situation then you'd be better off them all going into one hive than flying away. Again its rare.

I only do the set in method. The old books show that shake out and yea i did it too my first time, but it is stressful on the bees. Best to make their into to your yard the best it can be. They are correct in setting aside 5 frames. Just go back in the next day and slowly remove the box and set it beside the hive in case there are any stragglers. Move the 5 in there as one unit (you can do this cause there is no propolis build up yet) to the center and insert the remaining frames.

Most important thing for intro of packages is to remember to remove the cork in the queen cage! also making sure she is attached to the frame very well. either staple the plastic strap or have a large rubber band ready. Point the candy downward. Place the feeder on and go at it. Next hardest job...staying out. :-)

Good luck!
marty