ocba - [ocba] Installation questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Cotterman <johncotterman AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ocba <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Installation questions
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:17:36 -0700 (PDT)

Newbie here. Just completed the OCBA spring classes. Got 2 hives setup and ready for package delivery this weekend. I read somewhere that some beek had a bad experience with installing 2 packages the same day with hives right next to each other. Something about how all the bees went into one hive and chaos ensured. He recommended temporarily separating the 2 hives by 20-30 feet, installing, then moving them closer in a dsay or so.. Is this a legitimate concern?

Another question. The Delaplane book suggest taking 5 frames out and putting the opened package into the space and waiting (several hours?)  for them to leave the package and enter the hive. Most others I've seen just shake them and dump them in. Am I being too much of a fussy beginner to not want to upset my bees by shaking and dumping them in? After all, I want to gain their trust. (Do I?)

John Cotterman