ocba - [ocba] Foundationless Frames questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Eric Schwenke <eric AT swanfire.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Foundationless Frames questions
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:54:40 -0500

I'm part of the new crowd in Bee School that doesn't have anything but Deleplane's book yet. At the meeting this past Thursday I learned a bit about CNG beekeeping and top bar hives. I had already determined that I wanted to raise my bees in accordance with CNG when I first learned of it, however I was unaware of the issue with foundation for CNG and Deleplane's book doesn't really go into foundationless frames that I've seen. I don't want top bar hives, so can anyone point me toward some resources for establishing new colonies in Langstroth hives without foundation? I'd like to get an idea of how difficult it is before I order my initial supplies.

Thanks,
Eric Schwenke.