ocba - Re: [ocba] Rare sitting of a Yellow "Double Banded" Bumble Bee!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Rare sitting of a Yellow "Double Banded" Bumble Bee!
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:21:09 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,

This evening in the back garden in front of two of my hives I saw
what might have been this Double Banded Bumble Bee. It flew up
from a pile of leaves and into a tree about 12 foot up. It flew
slow and very direct, unlike any bee I have ever seen flying. I
was not able to see it perched, but the double bands were very
easily seen.

Since my sighting was not better documented I will not report it
to the powers that bee. I will however keep a closer eye in the
back yard in case I can find it again. Keep an eye open in your
yard, you might just find one.

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
www.rlephoto.blogspot.com