ocba - [ocba] New Hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: catherinelguerrero AT gmail.com
  • To: NCBeekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] New Hives
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:39:22 -0400

Hey All,

I hived four packages today. Three of the hives were lined up on a long
stand, about a foot apart. Because of how they are set up I expected some
drift, but I noticed pretty quickly that the hive in the middle ended up with
many fewer bees than either side, and the hive to it's right ended up with
the most.

I had some drawn comb from a hive I lost last winter. I tried to space it out
among all the hives, but the hive on the right (the one that got the most
bees) ended up with the best comb and probably more honey than the others. My
question is whether that might have affected the drift, or weather there
might be an issue with the queen in the middle hive that made her less
attractive.

I shook bees into the middle hive and buttoned them all up. I'll check the on
Saturday. I am just wondering if that's normal or if it might mean anything.

Catherine