ocba - [ocba] Rare sitting of a Yellow "Double Banded" Bumble Bee!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Rare sitting of a Yellow "Double Banded" Bumble Bee!
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:27:01 -0400

Hello everyone,

I Just wanted to share a real cool experience i had today! While out near the barn working I saw what looked like a larger than normal bumble bee. I remembered seeing one or two on the 21st of April while building our new observation hive as they just flew right in and hovered for a while...a very different sound for sure. So today i had time to check her out and it turns out she is a VERY rare (endangered) Yellow Double Banded Bumble Bee!! Almost extent!

The Xerces society had that pollinator workshop in November and had passed out a handout of the rare or nearly extinct bees and this was one of them. I'm glad i'm curious....and so is the Xerces Society. I went on their site and found Rich Hatfield, in Portland OG who is there  Endangered Species Conservation Associate. I sent him this short video and some pics from the phone and he said she was a queen and most likely had just laid in the manure pile i was getting ready to till up. So now we are NO till for sure as we wait it out! He got our coordinates and recorded the siting and it will be part of a year long study to find and locate them to see how many are left.

I wanted to share this video as they are almost gone and are now only found in just a few parts of the east coast! Might be only chance to see one in action!

Hope ya enjoy!!
marty hanks
just bee