ocba - Re: [ocba] Swarm in progress?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Dan Kyburz" <dkyburzus AT gmail.com>
  • To: "'Orange County Bees'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Swarm in progress?
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:10:56 -0400

Update, I opened the hive to find that they filled the medium super with honey in a little over a week.  To my surprise I found 2 overlooked capped queen supercedure cells and despite the beard, the hive is still overflowing with bees.  I took 4 frames out with a queen cell and closed them up in a NUC and put them in the cool garage until I can move them to another lot 5 miles away tonight. I added another medium super between the deep hive body and the medium one now filled with honey.  I put an empty super below the hanging beard (it  must have the queen in it because I did not find her in the hive).  I put a swam lure in it and the bees have started migrating into the empty box.  I’ll check in a little while to see if that worked and the beard relocated in or I have to shake them the rest of the way in.  Looks like I have 3 hives instead of one now.  We’ll see if I can get them to stay and produce mated queens.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dan