ocba - Re: [ocba] Bayer CropScience and bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Kitty Cunningham <klparmley AT gmail.com>
  • To: Brian and Lanette Fee <fee436 AT att.net>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bayer CropScience and bees
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:34:47 -0400

Whzat is your response to this?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url="http://www.moraybeedinosaurs.co.uk/neonicotinoid/Campaign.doc&pli=1

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Brian and Lanette Fee <fee436 AT att.net> wrote:

I am not a fan of Bayer. I am not a fan of imidacloprid.   I am a fan of treating bees with as few treatments and with the lowest doses of those treatments that I can manage.  But we need to hold Mongabay and Dr. Lu to the same standards we hold Bayer.  We expect Bayer to do studies with more than 2.5 acres of crop, but this guy only studied 5 hives, 4 test hives and only one control.  One of the standard procedures of science is that tests be done AT LEAST 3 times.  He didn’t even follow this basic tenant of scientific procedure.  These studies were done only once.  The hives were treated with other chemicals as well as imidacloprid.  They also show pictures in the proof of the article of the frames from the treated and nontreated hive.  The nontreated hive has lots of brood, but the treated hive has very little brood.  One of the hallmark symptoms of CCD is missing bees with lots of brood still left.

     This researcher is at Harvard.  The reality is that he is under the same pressures as any other researcher in the US to publish in the best journals that he can.  He chose to publish in a hidden away journal with an impact factor of 0.34 instead of Science or Nature with an impact factor of 30.  An  impact factor rates how often articles from those journals are cited – essentially how trusted the journal is.  Why did he only do his studies with 5 hives?  Why  only one control?  Why didn’t he get into Science or Nature?  The other studies did and they couldn’t pin CCD on imidacloprid alone.  This is a complex disease.  Chances are it isn’t going to have a simple answer.  More than likely there is a number of factors contributing to the disease and imidacloprid may indeed by one of them, but it isn’t the only one.  Dr. Lu may be on to something, but the studies need to be repeated with better controls and symptoms from the treated hives that represent the classical description of CCD.

Lanette Fee