ocba - [ocba] Bee-friendly Vines

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Rex L. Williams, Jr." <rexwilliams.03 AT gmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bee-friendly Vines
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 22:37:59 -0500

Hello Beekeepers,

My name is Rex Williams and I am new to OCBA and will be starting a hive this spring.  The wife and I are planning which plants to place in the yard this year and I found that the Carolina Jasmine that we have growing on trellises are toxic to the bees.  I was hoping that perhaps some of you might have suggestions on climbing vines that grow well in the area and might make a good replacement for the Jasmine.  Searching the internet has suggested that Trumpet Vines, Morning Glory or Wisteria would be good choices, but I have found some conflicting information regarding this.

Any help you all could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Rex