ocba - Re: [ocba] Anyone have liability insurance for the honey they sell?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Heather Congdon <heather.congdon AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Anyone have liability insurance for the honey they sell?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:01:21 -0500

I was poking around the Beesource.com forums looking for some other takes on the whole insurance thing - I never expected to find that many people have had their homeowner's insurance policies canceled because they have hives on their property. Good grief!

I seem to recall reading similar posts about people with backyard chickens. Bees and chickens? It's not like I'm breeding cockfighting roosters and killer bees in the back yard.

I'm going to meet with an independent agent this week to see which companies will insure homeowners with "ag" hobbies before I call and talk to my current insurance company. I'm probably more risk averse than most people when it comes to insurance.  I worked for a while as an insurance inspector and "don't ask, don't tell" makes me nervous. I'd hate to have a claim - even one completely unrelated to our hobbies - and have it denied. I'll pass on what I learn.

Heather