ocba - [ocba] Anyone have liability insurance for the honey they sell?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Heather Congdon <heather.congdon AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Anyone have liability insurance for the honey they sell?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:37:08 -0500

Hi Everyone.

At some point I'd like to sell our surplus honey. I'm just not sure what the rules are regarding liability in North Carolina. I don't know if it's even possible for someone to get sick from consuming honey, but I do know that we live in a pretty litigious society. I'd sleep better knowing I had some kind of protection against lawsuits. (Sad, isn't it?)

Does anyone have an agricultural policy that covers bees/honey? Or is there something in North Carolina law that shields beekeepers from product liability lawsuits? Maybe liability insurance is overkill, but I'd rather not bet the farm on it.

Best,
Heather