ocba - [ocba] OCBA Google Map

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] OCBA Google Map
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 08:13:03 -0500 (EST)

Good morning beekeepers,

At the meeting last night I spoke briefly about the OCBA google map.  My vision is to use google maps to connect our more experienced beekeepers with our 75 new beekeepers attending bee school.  For a new beekeeper, connecting with a more experienced mentor can be the difference success and frustrating failure.  This mentoring is especially critical in the very early days as the new folks work towards getting their new colonies up and running.  If you can identify eggs you can do some valuble mentoring.

I think the biggest obstacle to mentoring has been simply connecting folks who live in the same area.  I have put together a little google map so we can see where everyone is to try and facilitate these connections.  Go to the google map and enter your location and contact information.  New beekeepers should indicate that they are looking for a bee buddy and experienced folks should indicate that they are available to help out.

Mark your home location with the default blue placemarker.  I have also included some places where I keep bees with a yellow placemarker.  Our meeting places are marked with orange.

We've never done this before so it will be a work in progress.  Let's see how it works out and please offer suggestions for the map or the mentoring program in general to our listserve so that we can discuss.

A quick tutorial about entering your information may be found here .

The map may be found here .

Lewis

  • [ocba] OCBA Google Map, Lewis Cauble, 01/13/2012