ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees in swimming pool

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: kawayanan <kawayanan AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees in swimming pool
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:53:41 -0400

There is an old thread on BeeSource about a similar problem.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210032

I have heard that bees often like pools and hot tubs and such because of the smell (chlorine, salts, or other things that people add). Once the water source is used, the other bees learn the scent and are attracted to the source too, reinforcing the water site usage. People also say that bees often seem to prefer nasty, muddy water for the same reason (once used, other bees get recruited too). Somehow, you need to get them to learn (and pass along) a new water source.

Maybe try taking some of the pools water in a few tubs and using them to try and get the bees to learn to use water from a different place (using the pool water would mean that new watering hole would smell like they expect). This might work even better if you could do it when the pool is covered (if you neighbor ever covers his pool). People also suggest providing water that has Honey-B-Healthy or lemongrass oil in it to attract them. The idea being to use water with a scent that will help reinforce the new source for recruited bees.

Good luck, I hope something works.

Peter Smith wrote:

Hello Group,

I have a minor emergency involving a neighbor who is complaining about my bees in his swimming pool. I am the only beekeeper I know of in this area, so find it hard to deny that they are all from my hives.

So far we have a cordial relationship, and I would like to keep it that way. Does anyone have any experience of this? Obviously I should provide them with a nearby source of water and have done so already, but they seem “programmed” to go back to the pool, and I would like some way to discourage that as soon as possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter Smith