ocba - Re: [ocba] State fair booth

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Buck Horton <buck_horton AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] State fair booth
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:32:08 -0400

I would like to help out on this. Wed at 7 PM at David's is good for me.
If there is space in the booth, it would be nice to display something about the history of beekeeping - anybody got a skep? Also, a short list of the unique properties of honey would be interesting - helps allergies, helps heal wounds, etc. And a list of plants that are beneficial to bees. There is no shortage of available themes.
- Buck Horton

Becky Bollinger wrote:

I think Wednesday at 7pm is good, either at David's or Eva's. Can
everyone who wants to come to the meeting please respond today and let
me know if this time is ok. So far Lanette, David and I have ok'd that
time.

A couple of themes I have thought of is 1) showing the process step by
step on how honey is made (from the bee collecting nectar and pollen
to the beekeeper extracting it, we could put pictures up of common
plants that bees visit to get the pollen and nectar) 2) bee keeping
and its tools (we could display tools and have pictures of actual
beekeeping procedures being done, ie. starting a new colony, checking
for mites, looking for the queen

Those are just a couple of ideas I had. There are many things we could
do, but I definitely think focusing on one aspect of beekeeping would
be good.

Thanks for your help,
Becky