ocba - [ocba] Swarm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Brian E. Fee" <fee AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "'Orange County, NC Beekeepers'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:50:05 -0400

Hi Everybody,
One of John's hives has swarmed. They are about 35 feet up in a
tulip tree. They have been there since Saturday afternoon. Does anyone
have any hints as to how we might be able to get them down?
We have a hive body beneath them that they are, of course,
totally uninterested in.
Our tallest ladder only reaches about 1/3 of the way up. From
that vantage point we tried spraying them with water. I tried using a
bow and arrow to shoot a rope up into the tree to shake the limb, but
that wouldn't reach either.
Any ideas?
Lanette Fee