ocba - Re: [ocba] Swarm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Swarm
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:09:59 -0400

Brian E. Fee wrote:

Never mind...they are gone.
Thanks though.
Lanette

-----Original Message-----
From: ocba-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:ocba-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Brian E. Fee
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 7:50 PM
To: 'Orange County, NC Beekeepers'
Subject: [ocba] Swarm

Hi Everybody,
One of John's hives has swarmed. They are about 35 feet up in a
tulip tree. They have been there since Saturday afternoon. Does anyone
have any hints as to how we might be able to get them down?
We have a hive body beneath them that they are, of course,
totally uninterested in.
Our tallest ladder only reaches about 1/3 of the way up. From
that vantage point we tried spraying them with water. I tried using a
bow and arrow to shoot a rope up into the tree to shake the limb, but
that wouldn't reach either.
Any ideas?
Lanette Fee