ocba - Re: [ocba] Leave as is or Restack

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Wayne Miles <lwmiles AT yahoo.com>
  • To: A list for the Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Leave as is or Restack
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:48:10 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will leave as is.

The salt was something I read about on one of the forums, noone said they needed it, just that they took it.  So I wanted to find out for myself, they didn't kick it out but consumed it.  I have no idea why they like it or what it does for them.

Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu> wrote:
Wayne Miles wrote:

> 4 supers compose my current hive configuration, they are filled as follows from the top down.
>
> 4th - Medium - capped Honey - full
> 3rd -Medium - capped Honey, brood,pollen,uncapped brood,pollen,nectar
> 2nd-Medium - capped Honey, brood,pollen, uncapped brood,nectar,pollen
> 1st -Deep -Capped Honey,pollen,uncapped nectar,pollen- NO BROOD
>
> Should this stack be rearranged, or left as is for the winter ?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Wayne
>
> 00470153
> 00470156
> bees on salt

I would say that sounds perfectly fine in my opinion. I guess the real
question is what is the percentage of capped honey in each super? I
think that its best to put the higher amounts of honey towards the top
as the bees will tend to move to the top/center of the chamber during
the winter.

We run a two "deep" super configuration (we just call them hive bodies)
and plan to swap their order as soon as it gets warm enough in the
Spring so that the cluster can start at the bottom again and move up.

Also -- what's up with that 'salt'? Are you running some type of
experiment? :)

Thanks,
Jeff Bollinger