ocba - Re: [ocba] Leave as is or Restack

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: A list for the Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Leave as is or Restack
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:54:51 -0500

Wayne Miles wrote:

4 supers compose my current hive configuration, they are filled as follows
from the top down.
4th - Medium - capped Honey - full
3rd -Medium - capped Honey, brood,pollen,uncapped brood,pollen,nectar
2nd-Medium - capped Honey, brood,pollen, uncapped brood,nectar,pollen
1st -Deep -Capped Honey,pollen,uncapped nectar,pollen- NO BROOD
Should this stack be rearranged, or left as is for the winter ?
Thanks for your suggestions,
Wayne

00470153
00470156
bees on salt

I would say that sounds perfectly fine in my opinion. I guess the real question is what is the percentage of capped honey in each super? I think that its best to put the higher amounts of honey towards the top as the bees will tend to move to the top/center of the chamber during the winter.

We run a two "deep" super configuration (we just call them hive bodies) and plan to swap their order as soon as it gets warm enough in the Spring so that the cluster can start at the bottom again and move up.

Also -- what's up with that 'salt'? Are you running some type of experiment? :)

Thanks,
Jeff Bollinger