ocba - [ocba] Ants in the feeder!!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: A list for the Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Ants in the feeder!!
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:17:50 -0500

Anyone have suggestions to keep ants out of our hive-top feeder? We put two gallons of syrup out yesterday in one of the hive-top feeders and noticed a long line of syrup-laden ants crawling up and down the front of the hive. The syrup chamber itself was full of dead ants as well.

We have the hive sitting on two cinder blocks which are directly on the ground. We used to have it on a table where we greased the legs to keep the ants down, but the table to was too high to work the hive, so we lowered it to the blocks.

Any suggestions on how to keep the ants out until it gets too cold for them anyway?

Thanks!
Jeff Bollinger

  • [ocba] Ants in the feeder!!, Jeff Bollinger, 11/02/2005