nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw question and observation

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw question and observation
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:50:00 -0400

On 8/19/2015 8:01 AM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
I have yet to have a grafted pawpaw, event ones that were 2-3 years old in
containers, make it thru a winter here in Wisconsin. I do not have that
issue with seedlings. My whole pawpaw planting are from several rounds of
seeds from John Gordon. I sure wish I would have collected more of his
offerings 10-15 years ago.

~miEKAL
Miekal,

Interesting!

Did the understock live and only the graft die? Was it the 1st winter after grafting or did they survive a few winters then die?

All of my grafted pawpaws were grafted onto seedlings in the ground and I've not had that problem. I do now avoid using the bark graft as they don't heal over well and maintains an open wound. I much prefer the whip and tongue graft or splice graft or saddle graft (pencil size) which normally heals over the 1st year.

Jerry