nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw question and jujube observation

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw question and jujube observation
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:46:08 -0400

On 8/18/2015 10:06 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:
I am seeing conflicting information on fruit sites, so I wanted to poll the community: has anyone observed - do pawpaws grown from seed come fairly true to parent's characteristics?
Hello Betsy,

The genetic variations in pawpaw isn't nearly as broad as it is for example with Malus. Based on my experience of breeding pawpaw I believe you would be very happy with seedlings from selected second-generation pawpaws, as long as both the seed and pollen parent are select second-generation.

Jerry