nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple rootstocks, was freeze

  • From: "PATTY " <jrplelie@centurylink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple rootstocks, was freeze
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:40:32 -0500 (EST)

It seems to me that a good argument is being made for the use of dwarfing
interstems on rootstocks with good drought resistance and anchorage. A
rootstock like MM111 would preclude staking(longterm) and maybe regular
irrigation while the interstem would keep things at a manageable height for
U-picks and reduce pruning (dependent on vigor of the variety grown). As to
which rootstock and interstem combination would best serve the grower is a
decision for that grower. A friend of mine has a Geneva series with
interstem in his small orchard of 60 trees in Northern Michigan. I am not
familiar with the Geneva series so I am interested in seeing how things
progress.

Orchard planning is key to a good orchard. Once they are in the ground, you
are, for the most part, stuck with that plan.

Jim Elie
Pulaski WI
Zone 5a