nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple freeze question ('Lowville' apple)

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple freeze question ('Lowville' apple)
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 23:53:32 +0000

Congratulations! That's still my favorite chance seedling.  Although the
original tree on its own roots dropped most of its fruit in the drought, just
before ripening.  BUT, the one on Bud.118 had so many fruits-- and held onto
them-- that the tree is falling over.  (Note for orchard planners: Bud.118 is
better for small apples-- less total weight when tree is full!)  I have
another on home-grown seedling, and it had no fruit altho the tree is mature,
and blossomed this year.  On EMLA7 it just doesn't want to perform here.  It
barely grows!  Soil?

Anyway, on the Bud.118 it had a long ripening season.  Mid Sept, though a bit
green, til later in Oct.  I originally used Bud.118 for its advertized
drought tolerance, and the last 2 years proved it.  Lowville/B118 was my only
mid-season tree with fruit still in the tree for ripening.

I'm still trying to figure out how to store it.  It is so sensitive to
freezing, AND wants to pick up stray odors.  But what a nice apple.  (For the
uninitiated, we're talking about a yellower & prettier version of Zestar,
with a more delicate crispiness, slightly zippier flavor.)

I have 2 other chance seedlings I'm learning to admire, altho they are both
just "wormy little crabapples".  I like the sweet-tart flavor, and one or the
other or both usually bear well, in the wet years & the dry.  Better than no
apples.

Typo: below should say "refrigerator set a little too low".  I was typing on
a keyboard which kept sending the cursor to a previous paragraph.

tc