nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple rootstocks, was freeze

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple rootstocks, was freeze
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:16:09 +0000

An orchard just north of town uses MM111 exclusively, as they dry farm. It
does well enough for them, although I would be unsatisfied with the ultimate
size - too big for most varieties in a U-Pick, for which they prune heavily
each year - and the slowness to yield first crop. Bud118 has a reputation for
better crops than MM111, which is why I opted for that with D'Arcy Spice.
D'Arcy grows slowly and offers light crops, but the potential for great
flavor in this situation is too good to ignore.

I've also found Geneva30 seems to have better anchorage than M26. I had a
Liberty on M26 which leaned even though I thinned drastically - all the fruit
grew on one side of the tree. A two year old whip of Rambour Franc, which is
vigorous, on Gen30 has stood well in spite of 50 mph winds a few weeks ago.
It is 6' 3" already. I don't know how well Gen30 would do if it were planted
in a dry land orchard.

Good things are printed of MM106, which yields a tree a bit smaller than on
MM111, in terms of yield, drought tolerance and earlier first crop, but have
not tried it here.

Lastly, I recently read of the better anchorage of P2 in comparison with
Bud9. I have a 3-year-old whip of Lord Lambourne on Bud9, and an early heat
wave destroyed the youngest leaves at the top of it. It recovered with fresh
growth above the desiccated bit, but I wonder how that would affect a crop,
so want to make a graft to P2 next season and run a comparison. If better
anchorage equals a root system that handles heat, P2 will be the dwarf stock
of choice for this yard.

Apparently you live in a part of Wisconsin I am not acquainted with. And no
lake effect, either, huh?

Dave Liezen, born in Sheboygan, WI and raised in Spokane, WA