nafex - Re: [nafex] Is my pecan seedling a hican?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Is my pecan seedling a hican?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/11/2013 7:56:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ehilborn@mebtel.net writes:

Thank you Lucky, the differences in ploidy among species is reassuring.

I will plant them out next year in their permanant site and we shall
have nuts to evaluate- I guess in about 15 years?

Betsy
On 9/10/2013 2:07 PM, Dr. Lucky Pittman wrote:
> Betsy,
> As Dr. O'Barr indicated, pecanXhickory hybridization doesn't happened all
> that frequently - and differences in ploidy *may* preclude some species
from
> crossing. Pecan, shellbark, shagbark are diploid and will hybridize,
but
> mockernut is tetraploid(not sure about pignut, but I'm thinking it's also
> tetraploid), and likely won't cross naturally with the diploids.
> Most years, hickories are earlier than pecans, so potential for
> cross-pollenation is slim.

Interesting discussion!

Another thought: An interspecies hybrid involving the tetraploid with the
diploids would produce triploids. Wouldn't they likely be seedless, that is
bear no nuts, certainly produce few nuts? Or shells with undeveloped
kernels?

Jerry
>From lpittman@murraystate.edu Wed Sep 11 10:14:38 2013
d=1e100.net; s=20130820;
h=x-gm-message-state:from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date
:message-id:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding
:thread-index:content-language;
bh=fDsxYXdlJ/0Mf9R9T7UtdU46hvy3qBV+wu3H5oYvu9M=;
b=fcDf5Gt8754b0WrFMgLpJ7jynGLg2LP8uS748Y4SBnsn+rXlotC22abGR142S6w3cu
jtglzgkm6jvvXvFAlHAdJ8hn5JwczqTp5srtSTrIsoYNsj1XOJFHz3R9ioD2CAF4DGMa
rmkcUoUp9eHHl8xwfzPs+VMoAkOaPx7h1tJZBYNu9nHPC96u77qYO4NrhS7JYmuhRMMf
eGlB+pCv8moZirWhSVjWadxJ+iIEFbdUA4wDqvXGi6W80AQ4W/RX6bB9NA0QzRP4KodX
QisA0Hx1Q2TpjBPxZJUUsNq0N5/Hi1oTN1nvtqBgkQkI5U15RwiCn4Ru/PisBfDFVLBH
5Yaw==