nafex - [nafex] Jim Fruth's pear pollination question

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Jim Fruth's pear pollination question
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 18:07:23 -0400

Jim, since any given named pear variety is a clone of the original your
question is the equivalent of whether pears can be self fertile, as two
pears of the same variety are no different genetically from each other. I
don't know if pears are self fertile, but I'm sure many, if not most pears
a capable of being self fruitful although the fruit may not produce viable
seeds.

Many pears are self fruitful if the weather at bloom time is warm but not
when weather at that time is cool, or so I've read. I have seen several
pear varieties produce ample fruit without apparent pollinators nearby.
Adam's County Nursery now claims all Asian pears are self-fruitful.

  • [nafex] Jim Fruth's pear pollination question, Alan Haigh, 09/09/2013