nafex - Re: [nafex] Is my pecan seedling a hican?

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Is my pecan seedling a hican?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

Jerry,

They may produce sterile triploid trees, but it would be hard to know until
you had a 20+ year old tree that still wasn't producing and then you can only
guess that it isn't just experiencing and extended juvenile phase.

I don't know how strong triploid block is in this group but in many taxa,
interspecific triploids are difficult to produce at anything but very low
frequencies with controlled crosses because of a genetic mechanism that
blocks their production.  I would suspect that is more likely that you could
have production of an unreduced pollen from the diploid pollinate the
tetraploid and produce viable tetraploid hybrids.  You are much more likely
to get something happening this way if the diploid parent is the pollen
parent than if the pollen parent is tetraploid.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com