nafex - [nafex] Morus nigra

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex list <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Morus nigra
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 06:59:17 -0400

I've just gotten some black mulberries (M. nigra) from Oikos they claim are
hardy in zone 5. My fingers are crossed. However, I'm trying to figure out
where to put them. My two questions are: Do they get as big as M. alba? I'm
guessing not. And can you harvest them by shaking the tree like with M.
alba, or do they not detach as easily when ripe? If I can shake them onto a
sheet, I'll put them in a mown area, if not, I probably won't.

Thanks for the help! Spring is finally coming to the north. Ground is
thawed enough to dig holes just this week.

-matt
z5 se MI