nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)

  • From: derry walsh <derrywalsh1@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:12:26 -0800

Mike,

I just know they are really hard and green when picked.

For Beni shi don, the fruit is slightly furry about 1.25" to 1.5" and oval and if you let them ripen they are soft and bland (IMO).

There is some arboretum in the south-eastern US where there is a 'collection', maybe South Carolina?

Years ago I checkout their web site.

Derry