nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 17:58:51 -0500

Can anyone give advice on when exactly to pick the green umeboshis? I get
a crop now and then, but they all drop before I have the chance to doing
anything with them. It's good to know that they are pickled when green,
but at what size or how many days after petal fall? Is there some formula
to know when to pick them? Do they ever ripen to a sweet fruit or can they
only be used for processing as the article implies?

Thanks,
Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI zone 5b (USDA says zone 6 now, but I'm skeptical)