nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)

  • From: derry walsh <derrywalsh1@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Japanese apricot, Chinese plum: Prized fruit by any name (LA Times)
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:31:46 -0800

Sam,

Thanks for forwarding the link on Prunus mume.

I have about six varieties of P mume in my garden.

I can tell you that it may be the longest flowering fruit tree in (some areas of) China, but it is short-lived in my area (PNW one hour from Vancouver, B.C.)

In years when we get frosts when the tree is in bloom (February) it is subject to what I think is 'bacterial canker', Pseudomonas sp., which gradually kills the tree.

My favourite variety is 'Beni shi don' a tree with red blossoms.

I have found that this variety needs a pollenizer to produce fruit. The VanDusen Gardens in Vancouver has many specimens of this variety and none produce fruit.

Soon after my 'Rosemary Clarke' bloomed, I had fruit.

As the article says, the fruit is picked when hard and green and soaked in brine.

The tree itself is a small tree and it is not attractive, but when in bloom it is magnificent, often at Chinese New Year.

Cheers,

Derry Walsh
Aldergrove, B.C.