nafex - [nafex] Pin Cherry question

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Pin Cherry question
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 22:27:42 -0600

A professor at the University of Alaska - Fairbanks told me that Pin Cherry trees, Prunus pennsylvanica L., that grow there were imported from the lower 48. That area typically gets -40 F in Winter. A former NAFEXer in that area grows them and claims that they bear fruit every year.
I have Pin Cherry trees, here in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota, where the temperature rarely dips that low and my trees bear fruit only once or twice in ten years. So what is the possibility that Pin Cherry requires bitterly cold weather to bear fruit? Anyone have an idea???

Jim Fruth