nafex - Re: [nafex] mulching blueberries with woodchips

  • From: Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] mulching blueberries with woodchips
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:31:32 -0500

In my experience and understanding of what's going on in the soil, over time
there shouldn't be much difference on the effect between any of the organic
mulches. High C/N mulches do not tie up N because their breakdown rate is
mostly at the soil-mulch interface, so is slow, with the subsequent
mineralization rate about matching the rate at which N is tied up. This
theory matches my 30 years experiences with mulching blueberries with various
organic materials. I do add soybean meal, 1-2 pounds per hundred square feet
to keep the plants vigorous; yields are very good, about 11 quarts per plant.

I think the important thing is to mulch with any weed-free organic material,
without fussing between whether to choose one material or another. A fabric
weed barrier not only is usually ineffective for long term weed control but
also is counterproductive, interfering with biological activity at the
mulch-soil interface.

Also, chlorosis due to pH that's too high or poor drainage is the same. Iron
is not available to the plant in either case, with the resulting interveinal
chlorosis of youngest leaves first.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/