nafex - Re: [nafex] Asian pears

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Asian pears
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:30:19 -0500

"The University of Kentucky was testing Asian pears a few years back and
Korean Giant AKA Olympic was the one they rated most highly for quality. I
believe it's pretty good at resisting FB as well. "

Alan,
I'm located about 30 miles from the UofKY Princeton ag. research center,
where they did that pear trial.
Korean Giant - or, at least I purchased it as Dan Bae/Korean Giant - was the
shyest bearing, poorest tasting, most fireblight susceptible cultivar I ever
grew.
That, and other folks' rave reviews for it, sure make me wonder if mine was
not true to label name.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY