nafex - Re: [nafex] NAFEX group on Facebook

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] NAFEX group on Facebook
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:51:31 -0400

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:19 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

Rivka

I'm just a messenger, in case people that had no issues with Facebook
didn't know about the activity there. I'm neither endorsing Facebook
nor chiding people who are not on Facebook. I do know lotsa people on
Facebook who have their accounts locked down to a few people, have ad
blockers, and essentially it is a very person-to-person messaging
service.

There is also a tremendous amount of resources on FB regarding fruit,
nuts, exploring, trading, grafting, science etc.

~mIEKAL

I'm sure that's true. There are also more resources off FB in all of those areas than I can keep up with.

If you'd just said "there are lots of NAFEX pictures on Facebook and you can see at least some of them without signing in", I wouldn't have answered. It's the info about the privacy settings I meant to answer -- I'm sure it's possible to keep one's Facebook account locked down; but the impression I have is that it's a timeconsuming nuisance to accomplish this, and that it may have to be done again at any moment whenever Facebook feels like revamping things.

If what I want is a person-to-person messaging service, or even a messaging service working for a group, this is entirely possible to accomplish without Facebook: which makes its money from keeping people on Facebook as much of the time as possible. For those who want to use Facebook to do it, I don't care; but I don't want to push an already functioning group in that direction, quite possibly ruining its existing function in the process; which is how I took your ending comment quoted below, though you may not have meant it that way: