nafex - Re: [nafex] Black currant question

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Black currant question
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:25:19 -0500

miekal - we've noticed that black currants are indeed labor intensive. our most productive variety (the previously discussed chernaya lisovenko) does not all ripen at once, and they don't hang well, so we've got to selectively pick, which takes a long time. i might be able to pick a gallon an hour for our first couple pickings. I have noticed though, that other varieties (in my experience titania) thus far seem to hang better so we can let most ripen and pick the whole cluster, saving lots of time.

also, what method are you using to make juice? are you getting something quite concentrated? we simmer for 20 or so minutes, then strain, which gives us a concentrate that can be diluted about 2:1. so, we get about twice the amount of juice from that same amount of currants - i.e. 1 gallon of currants makes 1 gallon of concentrate or 2 gallons of juice.

anton