nafex - [nafex] Crows!!!

  • From: Jerry Levit <jerlevit@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Crows!!!
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:16:56 -0400

Our neighbors the crows are having a field day in our orchard. We have 66
dwarf apple trees on a Marchand trellis, 15 semi-dwarf apples and four
semi-dwarf pear trees. The trees range between 4 and 6 years old and this is
their first year of serious production. Unfortunately for us, the crows are
getting most of the nearly-ripe fruit. We have put up scare tape, deployed an
owl scarecrow and are employing a Bird Gard Pro sound device. Each system
worked for about four or five days. I don't mind sharing some of our harvest
with the critters. I just want my fair share. Short of netting each tree are
there any other ideas that folks on this list that have proven effective.
Thanks for your insights and experience.

Jerry Levit
Windy Meadows
4371 Russell Road
Graham, NC 27253