nafex - [nafex] Collection of apple varieties

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Collection of apple varieties
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:09:25 +0530

Dear all,

I gather from Jerry Lehman’s mail to Group that Mr. Gene Wild has a
collection of 800 apple varieties. I guess that it it must be the LARGEST
collection owned by an individual.

Am, I right? Or any of you know about a larger collection.

It requires great passion to build such a large collection of varieties as it
is not a good commercial strategy. In India, kings and big landlords used to
build large collection of mango varieties but here I have not heard a
collection bigger than of 350 mango varieties. However, 400 years ago there
once existed a mango orchard which had one lakh (100,000) mango trees and it
was called Lakh Bagh (bagh=orchard). But it was got planted by the great
Moghul Emperor Akbar.

I keep collecting such bits of information for my “Fruit Facts” which I
publish weekly in Fruitipedia and one Indian newspaper. I think Gene’s
collection can feature in that if it the largest collection by an individual.

Jerry:

Can you give me contact details of Gene Wild?

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India
01905-222810; 094181-81323