nafex - [nafex] Is Frontenac grape patented?

  • From: Dan Durica <dandurica@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Is Frontenac grape patented?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:49:48 -0800

I remember learning about Frontenac a while back and hearing that it was not
patented, but that Frontenac Gris was. I feel like I heard this at a
workshop given by one of the researchers from U of M who was involved in
breeding it and I'm pretty sure he was the one who found Frontenac Gris and
patented it. Now I'm seeing TM next to it at many nurseries and charges for
royalties. Some have it and some don't. Are they confusing it with Gris or
did someone patent Frontenac? Any help would be appreciated. Dan