nafex - [nafex] Sops of Wine

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Sops of Wine
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 20:29:14 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

Gene Wild active NAFEX member for years has a collection of around 800
apple varieties. I asked him if he had Sops of Wine. Here was his reply:

I have Sops of Wine, however I would not recommend it. Maybe it is an
apple for a colder climate. It has never had any red coloring inside,
and has a nondescript flavor. Ken Dooley [deceased member of NAFEX] and I
agreed it was our poorest heirloom. I can supply cuttings if you like.

There is a source of scions if anyone still wants.

Jerry
>From cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca Mon Jan 30 21:11:24 2012
>Gene Wild active NAFEX member for years has a collection of around 800
>apple varieties. I asked him if he had Sops of Wine. Here was his reply:
>
>I have Sops of Wine, however I would not recommend it. Maybe it is an
>apple for a colder climate. It has never had any red coloring inside,
>and has a nondescript flavor. Ken Dooley [deceased member of NAFEX] and I
>agreed it was our poorest heirloom.

However, let's not forget that old varieties like=20
that were not spreaded all over like modern=20
varieties are. They were generally great in the=20
area where they were initially grown, and were=20
often poor in locations where climate or soil was=20
different. So there is surely some combination of=20
climate and soil where Sops of Wine does great -=20
it's only a question of finding if your orchard will be such!
Claude Jolicoeur
in Quebec