nafex - Re: [nafex] Sops of Wine

  • From: "Judson Frisk" <jlfrisk@iowatelecom.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Sops of Wine
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:11:05 -0600

Apples of New York by Beach recommended "Swaar" as a great apple. I grew
it here in SW Iowa (zone 5) and it was a terrible apple with no flavor. It
would hang on the tree all winter and the birds wouldn't even eat it. One
thing I love about old fashioned apples are the way that the region that
they are grown makes such a difference. Here it seems most summer apples
are tasteless if we get our usual summer heat but the later fall apples like
Chieftain and Golden Russet do well. Judson L. Frisk