nafex - Re: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:27:13 -0500

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:39:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Jwlehman@aol.com
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

In a message dated 11/29/2011 11:14:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
r.fred.bruns@gmail.com writes:
Kaki and virginiana do hybridize - Rosseyanka and Nikita's Gift are
hybrids. The interesting thing about Ichi ki kei jiro is that it's
non-astringent, so a hybrid could be used to create a non-astringent
virginiana type.

Let me add to Fred's statement. Nikita's Gift (Nikitskaya Bordovaya) is
Rosseyanka (Rossey) back crossed to kaki. As far as I know Rosseyanka was the
first world's hybrid and maybe still the only 50/50 V x K. I have seen no
claims of more original hybrids although the Japanese have been trying and may
have succeeded by now. Jerry

Cliff England of England's Nursery (http://www.nuttrees.net/) claims to have some others. Check out his scion list at http://www.nuttrees.net/

Alex