nafex - Re: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:04:11 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/29/2011 9:33:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ehilborn@mebtel.net writes:

> I have a D. kaki (Ichi ki kei jiro) that has been bearing for a few
> years. It is my only D kaki, although we have numerous wild D.
> virginiana around. My kaki has always produced seedless fruit.
>
> This year I found 1 seed in a fruit. I don't know if it is viable, but I
> would like to try to germinate it. I am suspecting if it is viable, it
> will produce a hybrid. Does anyone know if these closely related species
> (kaki and virginiana) hybridize?
>
> Question- can I use D. kaki (or hybrid) rootstock for grafting kaki
> varieties.? Is there any advantage/ disadvantage to using D. kaki (
> compared to D. virginiana) as rootstock? I am in zone 7.

Hello Betsy,

It is highly highly unlikely you have a hybrid. Several reasons:

You are in zone 7 in which the majority of indigenous persimmon trees are
60 chromosome, kaki is 90. For them to hybridize would mean 15 unpaired
chromosomes in the zygote which is lethal. In nature some plants exist with
one
unpaired chromosome, but not 15 that I've ever read of.

The 90 chromosome Diospyros kaki and virginiana don't hybridize easily.
When they do the cotyledon doesn't develop and embryo rescue in necessary.
That
isn't always true when the hybrids are back crossed to either species. If
your seed is rounded like an ordinary persimmon seed the chances of it being
a hybrid is very slim. I'd say the chancers are greater your kaki tree
produced a male flower.

Yes, either kaki or virginiana will work as rootstock. However virginiana
is much more commonly used as it has a superior root system. Stronger and
more laterals. Also more hardy. And I believe the 90 chromosome race makes
better understock, but haven't seen any research on that subject.

Jerry