nafex - Re: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:39:55 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/29/2011 11:14:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
r.fred.bruns@gmail.com writes:

> Kaki and virginiana do hybridize - Rosseyanka and Nikita's Gift are
> hybrids. The interesting thing about Ichi ki kei jiro is that it's
> non-astringent, so a hybrid could be used to create a non-astringent
> virginiana type.

Let me add to Fred's statement. Nikita's Gift (Nikitskaya Bordovaya) is
Rosseyanka (Rossey) back crossed to kaki. As far as I know Rosseyanka was the
first world's hybrid and maybe still the only 50/50 V x K. I have seen no
claims of more original hybrids although the Japanese have been trying and
may
have succeeded by now. Rossey was one of about a dozen seeds that embryo
rescue was used on and Rosseyanka the only one that survived. Dr. Pasenkov
who
is the originator wrote he used many years Double Mentoring. That is, each
was grafted onto the other species, the virginiana seed parent onto kaki and
the kaki pollinator onto virginiana. Then embryo rescue was used. All my
attempts without mentoring failed.

Jerry